Sunday, July 6, 2008

Head On Over To The Farmer's Market

A lot of care is put into the displays at the market, it needs to be visually appealing, to draw the customer in by their senses. It must also be 'shopable' so that the customer can easily grab what they need.


This is a beautiful display of salad turnips, (One of my favorite things right now. They are similar to a radish, a bit sweeter with a faint bite, crisp but also smooth.) broccoli, radishes and fennel on top. You can see a picture of me restocking this display and more great photos here!


Here is a picture of 2 of the many kinds of summer squash we had at our stand this week. The yellow with the green bottoms are called Zephyr and the dark green round squash is called Patti Pan.


These red raspberries, gold raspberries and mulberries were a fitting display for the 4th of July weekend.


Mulberries close up.


Denison Farms grows a variety of cherry and pear tomatoes. This one is called a Black Cherry.

They also grow a large variety of heirloom tomatoes. I love bringing home different ones each week to try. They are all so beautiful and each have their own unique flavor and texture. Some being more meaty, others juicy. Some best for making sauce, others for eating like an apple.


This one is called Copia. I brought one home this week and was told it is a good one for salads or with salt, pepper and fresh mozzarella.


The Black Copia has red and green stripes and is very striking.


These are also Copia tomatoes. Heirloom tomatoes often have ridges or grow in odd shapes. When shopping for heirlooms, don't shy away from a tomato that looks like the one in the top left corner, it is a sure sign that it is delicious!


The Couore di Bue, Ox heart in Italian, has very distinctive ridges that can go from top to bottom of the tomato and a rich red color.


This little beauty is called the Black Prince. I'm always intrigued by the brown and green colored tomatoes, they look so rich and regal to me.


The Brandywine tomato has a lovely pinkish hue and is one of my favorite all around tomatoes. I am drawn to its color and flavor which is sweet and in between meaty and juicy.

I hope you all get a chance to try some of this summers wonderful tomatoes and locally grown vegetables! It is worth the trip to the farmer's market, you just might discover there is something you have never tried that you end up loving.

12 comments:

Diane Gilleland said...

Gorgeous photos, and I love all the tomato info. You've inspired me to get into some 'maters next weekend for sure.

Dot said...

you do the most fabulous veggie photos! now i'm hungry for something healthy (i'm sure if i wait, this feeling will pass, though!)

dot

Anjeanette said...

I am so jealous of you and your farmer's market. Do you work with a farmer? How cool is that?! I wish there was something like this closer to us. So so jealous!

bunzi said...

thanks for all the tips. ;) i don't usually go to a farmer's market for groceries. but that seems cool. do you watch top chef?

Anonymous said...

It really is the best looking farmer's market. Since we are in the middle of winter your photos really wanna make me go there.

Ginger said...

Love the photos makes me want to buy some .Great blog enjoyed it today thank you.

'fancypicnic' said...

I wish we had such beautiful markets in my little corner of the world! Gorgeous.

mushroommeadows said...

so many tomatoes! YUM!

Oh, do white raspberries taste the same as pink/red ones?

Hello, I'm Sally. said...

To answer about the raspberries, they are very similar in taste. I describe the golden raspberries to be more aromatic than the red. :)

Linnea said...

Your farmers market photos always make me want more from ours, the selection is not nearly as impressive. I would do just about anything for some Mulberries!

AlasMyDear said...

such great photos! i've never seen those kinds of timatoes before. come to think of it, i've never even seen a real live mulberry before, either...

i'm enjoying reading what people do in different parts of the world!

Ginger said...

Love the pictures,My tomato are just about ripe for the picking soon.I'll show you mine.
Enjoy your day.
hugs ginger