Friday, March 14, 2008

My Favorite Hat



This is not only my favorite hat to wear, but also to knit. I went c-razy at Christmas time and knit about 5 of them for presents. It is the Cabled Newsboy Cap from the Stitch 'n Bitch Nation.

What I love about this hat is that it looks great on everyone! Seriously, me, my mom, my sister-in-law (actually two of them), my daughter. Everyone.

I also love how fun and quick it is to knit. Don't be scared by the cables, these ones are easy. I was once afraid of cables, but I took the plunge and I'm glad I did. I am better visually, so I asked my friend Chrissy if she could give me a quick tutorial and voilĂ ! If you don't have someone to show you, I found a couple of links here, here and even a video here (the model is wearing my favorite hat!).

Some thing you should know before embarking on this pattern, there is a type-o that is not included in the errata for the book. Once again, my friend Chrissy came to the rescue. In the Shape the Top section of the pattern, it should read 'Cont as est, working 1 less st before/after decs and maintaining cable every 4th rnd to 72 sts, ending with a rnd 1'.

I have also used the brim from this pattern and incorporated it onto other hats I have made.


This hat was commissioned by Wren. "I want a fire hat that is red and orange with a brim like yours." This boy knows what he wants!

3 comments:

Roxanne said...

Love the hat!! I have been itching to try cables, but have been a little scared! Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to check them out.

mushroommeadows said...

CUTE! very cute! :) You're right; it looks amazing on anyone...the pictures prove it!

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Cool hats!