Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Craft From The Past

We survived the drive! It actually went pretty well, thanks for all the well wishes. We had a nice Easter with family. The bunnies have been named and are accompanying us every where. I'm glad they like them so much!

I went to a lovely fabric shop with my dear friend Sage and picked up some fat quarters with doll making in mind. But the best find was a felting needle and mat for half price!

But all this talk is about crafts of the future, what I really want to talk about is a craft from my past.

I LOVE working with glass, all the colors and designs just draw me in. I have made large windows, frames, mirrors and light catchers. I've used broken pieces to make mosaic light fixtures. Unfortunately, I haven't kept much of my work.



Here at my mom's house is a piece I made to fit into a round window. It looks out from the bathroom shower onto the porch, kind of an odd place for a window. My mom had wanted to find a way to make it more private but keep the natural light. I took on the challenge and since she loves frogs, designed this for her.

I took my first stained glass class about 12 years ago when I was living in Cannon Beach and then took another class when I moved to Portland at Cline Glass. Then I decided that I needed to invest in my own equipment.

Making stained glass pieces requires a lot of tools and supplies, some of them toxic chemicals. You need to have a work space that is well ventilated because when you solder, there is awful smoke. You also need to have a work space that can tolerate the splinters and shards of glass that end up all over due to cutting, breaking and grinding the glass. Needless to say, this is not a kid friendly hobby. And, it is not recommended if you are pregnant.

So, because of space limitations and having two small children, I haven't worked with glass for quite a few years. I still have all the equipment and boxes of glass in the basement and I dream of being able to take it up again.

Well, the week is almost over and we are going to undertake the long drive home again on Saturday. We will have Sunday to recuperate and then it's back to the grind on Monday.

4 comments:

mushroommeadows said...

Oh my gosh! I love, love, love your stain glass piece. I cannot believe you did it. I mean, honestly, it looks like it's store bought...in the BEST way possible! Wow...you have an amazing talent there. :)

I'm glad you guys had a great Easter, by the way! :)

Roxanne said...

Wow, that is an amazing window! I've tried my hand at soldering before, but I wasn't so hot at it. A little practice would probably help a lot, but like you said, it's hard to find a good place to do it.

Allie said...

That frog is wonderful!

Chris said...

Who knew? I didn't know! You're a stained glass crafter as well. I love the frog...how sweet for your mom. I've never done stained glass, but I wandered around Cline for a little while once, when Annabel was a baby. Maybe someday.