Tuesday, April 22, 2008

'S' Is For Sewing: part 2

After Wren finished sewing the little guy for his friend, I went about making the second part of the gift. I have been wanting to try appliqués on t-shirts using fusible webbing.

What kid doesn't want a t-shirt with their initial on it? I found a font I liked, enlarged it and printed it out. I used a water soluble fabric pen to trace the letter onto the fabric, pinned the fabric and the webbing together and then cut it out. Then I placed it on the shirt and with a hot iron, fused it into place. How easy is that?



It could be finished at this point, but I decided I liked the look of a sewn edge. I don't have a special needle for knit fabric, but since I was sewing through two other layers, it went along smoothly.



This whole process took about 20 minutes! Why didn't I try this before?



Now I need to make a 'W' and a 'V', how about a butterfly? or a truck? The possibilities are endless!

4 comments:

Linnea said...

What a cute idea! I am going to have to try it! What a lucky kid to receive such a special handmade gift!

mushroommeadows said...

S is also for "super" cause this is a super project! Nice job!

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

What a creative idea!

Amy said...

Now that is DARLING! I am adding it to my notebook entry for Thursday because I have to share this one. Lovely!