Tuesday, April 22, 2008

'S' Is For Sewing: part 1

I was inspired when I read Linnea's post about her son's first sewing project and wanted to see if Wren might be interested in giving it a try.

I thought I should start with something where the stitches were visible and it wouldn't be too hard to poke though, plastic canvas fit the bill.



Both of the kids had fun 'sewing' and Wren was eager for more!

"I want to stuff something!" Wren declared. So we set about making a little stuffed guy that he could give to a friend for his birthday. He really enjoyed drawing the circles and cutting them out. And he was very ambitious when he started sewing the circles together. But after just a few stitches, he was ready for something new.

"Well, you could finish it" he said, as I reminded him we needed to sew it together before we could start putting the eyes and mouth on. I encouraged him to do a few more stitches and finished the rest. Stuffing and decorating were right up his alley though and I think his little guy turned out pretty cute.




Violet went right to work trimming pompoms.

6 comments:

Roxanne said...

So sweet! I've been thinking my little one is ready for the next step in sewing too. Thanks for the inspiration!

mushroommeadows said...

Oh my gosh! I love Wren's creation! And Violet has little pompom fuzz in her hair! hahaha so cute! :)

melissa said...

That's a great idea to let your kids take a hand at sewing. I'll have to do that!

Linnea said...

How cute! Another thing we have done is colored on plain cotton, cut, sewed and stuffed it.
I love Wren's little guy! It is so great!
Your little ones are so adorable!

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Cute! I remember doing my first sewing project, so much fun!

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

OH so swwet, what beautiful children...I think you might have started a life long addiction here!!!