Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Baking Bread: The Short Version



This recipe is seriously fast and easy. I started it at 5:30pm and pulled it out of the oven at 6:45pm. I got this recipe from my sister-in-law when they were visiting in July. It makes a great basic dough that can be used in many ways. I made a loaf, burger buns, and Violet shaped a bunch of rolls.

Here is the recipe as I got it from my sister-in-law.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
5 1/4 c flour
1/2 c sugar

1 & 1/2 rounded T of instant yeast

1/2 t salt

Give the dry ingredients a mix

1 & 1/2 T liquid lecithin (found in the health department or at baking stores)

2 c hot water


Mix for 1 minute and check consistency, dough should be sticky. Add flour or water. Knead for 4 minutes. Spray pans, counter and your hands with cooking spray. Cut dough in half and shape into loaves. Cover and let rise for 25 minutes. Cook for 25 minutes, or until bottom is lightly brown.


*For whole wheat flour, knead for 10 minutes instead of 4 and use apple sauce for half of your water.



OK, here's what I did. I tried the recipe the way it was written, using the lecithin, apple sauce and white whole wheat flour. It was very tasty, but a bit sweet. I wanted to try it without the lecithin and apple sauce to see how it came out. Mostly to make it less sweet and also to cut down on the ingredients list. I also switched the sugar to honey. It worked great!

My version:

5 1/4 c white whole wheat flour
1 & 1/2 rounded T instant yeast
1 t sea salt


Mix dry together

1/2 c honey
2 c hot water

Mix together for 1 minute and test constancy, needs to be sticky or else your bread will turn out dry. Knead for 10 minutes making sure dough remains sticky, adding more hot water if necessary. Spray pans, counter and hands with cooking spray, shape and let rise 25 minutes, or until doubled. Bake for 25-35 minutes.

12 comments:

Anjeanette said...

Awesome! I'm going to have to try it.

bunzi said...

cool thanks! i've been meaning to make bread one of these days. :)

SquishyCuteStuff said...

Hmmm... I have rye flour, bread flour, and all-purpose flour. Which of these do you think would work best in your recipe?

Hello, I'm Sally. said...

Actually, any of those flours will work. You could mix the bread and rye or the AP and rye to get a nice flavor. Or just go with all bread or all AP. The most important part is to keep the dough sticky, stickier than what it would be with a double rise recipe.

SquishyCuteStuff said...

Thanks Sally! Homemade bread is so good with my "Colonial Chicken Salad" recipe. Let me know if you want it! ☺

randiepdx said...

Yum, today is a perfect day for bread making. I love the summer veggies but I crave turning my oven on and filling the house with smells. I have never used lecithin before; i am curious to try.

Love your blog, btw. My daughter Violet will be in K at css,too. Who's Wren's teacher?

Unknown said...

Okay, printing your version off. :D Do you think it would be okay to mix white flour with wheat flour?

Hugs,
Melinda

Hello, I'm Sally. said...

It would totally work mixing white and wheat flour.

Rachel said...

Great! I love bread recipes that are quick!

randiepdx said...

Well we just finished eating sandwiches on this wonderful bread. This will definitely be a favorite for rolls and peanut butter sandwiches. I had it today with roast turkey and some lettuce from the garden and I was a happy lady. Thanks for the recipe, Sally.

Jana @sidetrackd said...

This sounds great, and so much faster than my usual bread recipe. I only have active dry yeast on hand, though; do you think I could substitute (with a longer rise time) or should I just go ahead and buy some instant?

Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Hello, I'm Sally. said...

With active yeast you would need to do a double rise, so to make it work with just one rise, you'd have to use instant.