Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Homemade Hot Cocoa: For REAL!


Look at that face, I think he likes it!


my preferred ingredients

I give you two recipes. First a Hot Cocoa mix recipe. One that I made with friends a couple of winters ago and gave as gifts. Originally from Sunset magazine. Go here and you will find many versions; Mexican, peppermint, mocha. Just note, there is a typo. Use 1 teaspoon salt, NOT 1 tablespoon! The second is a stove top recipe, you can also make it by the cup in the microwave for an instant fix.


Classic Cocoa Mix
1 cup powdered milk
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mini chips

Mix together in a container. Pour 1 cup boiling water in a cup, stir in 1/3 cup of cocoa mix. Et voilĂ ! I like to pour in a bit of half and half to cool it and for a smidgen of creaminess. This makes a deliciously rich hot cocoa.


Stove Top Hot Cocoa
4 cups milk, any kind
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt

Place all ingredients into a pot. Turn on to medium heat, start stirring when milk warms up. The cocoa powder will not mix in until milk is warm. Don't boil! Makes 4 cups of hot cocoa just like your grandma used to make.

For 1 cup serving:
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
dash of salt

Place in a ceramic mug, microwave for 2 minutes. Stir and enjoy!

*An interesting fact about cocoa powder, it doesn't actually dissolve, it just suspends in the warm liquid. That is why you always find cocoa at the bottom of your cup!

8 comments:

SquishyCuteStuff said...

Hubby accidentally drank a mugful of "Butterfinger"-flavored hot cocoa that my mom bought for the girls...he said "this tastes like a Butterfinger, and I LIKE it!". LOL

mushroommeadows said...

it looks super TASTY and what a precious picture!

cabin + cub said...

Mmm... could sure use some on this cold day! :)

Chris said...

I still make batches of that candy cane cocoa every year. In fact, I think I'll go make myself a cuppa right now. I did not know that about cocoa. Interesting.

Amy said...

these look like they'll be good, i cant wait to try them

Ann @TheAssetEdge said...

Yum yum!!

Ketutar said...

Who doesn't love cocoa...
I think the fact that cocoa doesn't dissolve interesting too :-)

Roxanne said...

Sounds great! The video was priceless though! Your kids are adorable.